The old Ghostbusters movie asked, “Who you gonna call?”  Seniors facing legal issues may not know that they have several options to assist them.


For private attorneys, call the Palm Beach Bar Lawyer Referral at 561-687-2800 or visit Palmbeachbar.org.

In the Treasure Coast call the Florida Bar 1-800-342-8011


The Older Americans Act provides for Legal Assistance for people over 60

  • In Palm Beach County, call Palm Beach County Legal Aid at 561-655-8944 
  • In the Treasure Coast, call Florida Rural Legal Services at 772-466-4766


Finally, several government agencies and nonprofit organizations assist senior and non-senior Floridians with legal issues.  Below are the top ten legal questions the Elder Rights Center of Excellence receives from seniors, caregivers and loved ones. Each answer includes a free resource to help resolve the issue. 



Free Resource 

Additional Information

My neighbors are harassing me

Fair Housing Center of the Greater Palm Beaches

1-877-910-FAIR (3247)


Serves the entire state of Florida

The center can assist with harassment based on race, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identification, disability or age

I know a senior that is being abused, neglected  or exploited

Call Adult Protective Services at

1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873)

You can also call local law enforcement

You can make a report anonymously

I have concerns about a guardianship

To report suspected fraud in Palm Beach County, call

561-355-FRAUD (561-355-3728) 


Florida State Guardianship Association


To register for a class on guardianship, call Catholic Charities at 561-775-9560

I have an immigration issue

Catholic Charities of Palm Beach - Immigration Services (Riviera Beach Office)


Services are available in Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, and Saint Lucie Counties

I have a problem with my HOA or Condo Association

Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes  


Use the name of association that is on your deed (This may be different than what the association is called)

I gave someone money to fix my house and they did not make the rapairs

Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations



You will need a copy of any papers you have and cancelled checks or credit card statements

I have a problem with an insurance company (includes any type of Insurance)

Florida CFO Insurance Fraud Division


You will need your policy number, anything you sent the insurance company, and anything the company sent you 

I am getting harassed about a debt I do not owe

Consumer Finance Protection Bureau


Florida Office of Financial Regulation


You will need a copy of the bill, account number and any letters from the debt collector

I am getting harassed about a debt I do owe

Try a certified nonprofit credit counseling agency such as:

  •  The Urban League                               561-833-1461                         ULPBC.org 
  •  Debthelper                                          561-472-8000             Debthelper.com
  •  ClearPoint Credit Counseling        561-472-5060  https://www.clearpoint.org

Credit and budget counseling are free at each agency. However, agencies offer other services that may have a fee.

I can’t pay my mortgage

To find a HUD approved counseling agency:

  • Call 1-888-995-HOPE (4673)
  • Or contact Florida’s Hardest Hit program at 1-877-863-5244           FLHardestHitHelp.org

You will need a copy of your mortgage statement and proof of your income. Help is available for homes with regular or reverse mortgages.





Some seniors wish to represent themselves

The Palm Beach County Clerk of Courts has a Self Help Center with low cost forms snd documents. Attorney consultations are available by appointment at all Self Service Center locations. The attorney can offer procedural advice in Family, Small Claims and Landlord/Tenant actions. The cost of this service is: $15.00 for 15 minutes, $30.00 for 30 minutes, and $60.00 for 60 minutes. To schedule an appointment with an attorney, please call 561-355-7048


Treasure Coast Counties may have the forms you need on their website. For help, call the Clerk of Courts: 

Copyright © 2019 All Rights Reserved